January 08, 2011

Make Your Own Baby Food

I majored in nutrition.  Since I'm a stay-at-home mom, I don't have a job per se, but I still use my degree all the time.  For example, I make my own baby food.  There are several reasons for this, including:
-I am cheap frugal
-Generally, it's better for your baby (more on that later)
-I'm sure it's got to taste better

It is really easy to do.  Just buy fresh fruits or vegetables (the fresher the healthier!).  Steaming is the best way to preserve nutrients.  I use the steamer basket in my rice cooker.  If you don't have a steamer, bring water to a boil before adding your veggies or fruits, and boil in the smallest amount of water possible.  

Throw the food in a blender and add water.  Blend until it's completely smooth, adding more water if necessary.  If you boiled the food, use the water you boiled it in.  This way, all the nutrients that leeched out into the water still make it into baby's tummy.

This is the part that I love: freezing it in ice cube trays.  Genius! I don't remember where I got the idea from, but it works great.


Once they're frozen, dump them out and freeze them in freezer bags.  When your baby is ready to eat, throw a couple in the microwave until they're partially melted.  Then stir the still frozen part into the hot part and you've got the perfect lukewarm temperature for baby food.

Here are some sweet potatoes, because they're on sale this time of year:


Some peas.  See, isn't that green so much more appetizing than that yucky gray-green you get in the jar?  These peas were actually frozen peas.  Fruits and vegetables from the frozen section are great, as long as there isn't any added sugar or salt.  You can microwave these in a small amount of water to cook, then throw them in a blender.


Some blueberries, for mixing in with applesauce or mashed up bananas.


If you do decide to make your own baby food, make sure you don't make carrots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or collard greens.  Those tend to be grown in nitrate rich soil, which can cause a specific kind of anemia in babies if they get too much.  Baby food in a jar is better for those specific veggies, since the manufacturers avoid products grown in nitrate rich soil.  For more info on this, you can see What To Expect the First Year.

This takes some time, but for me, its totally worth it.  As your baby gets older, you can add less water and more texture.  Perfectly tailored to your baby's needs.

Linking up here.

1 comment:

Julianna said...

I love this idea :) I don't have kids (yet) but I will definitely keep that in mind. Also I like your writing style!

Ads Inside Post