December 04, 2010

Tiered Ruffle Skirt Tutorial

To make this tiered ruffled skirt, all you will need is :
knit fabric 
elastic
thread (and lots of it!)



This is a tutorial for the tiers and ruffles only.  If you need help making a basic skirt to start with, go here. Be sure to use knit fabric for this project (it needs to stretch or it won't work).  Also, don't finish the bottom.  We're going to finish it differently.
Okay, so you've cut out two rectangles and sewn them together into a skirt that will fit your daughter (or you!). Sew a casing at the top for elastic, but don't insert your elastic yet.  I did, and spent the rest of the project wishing I hadn't. I was to lazy to take it out and then have to put it back in again, although in the long run, that probably would have saved me time.  Anyway, your skirt should look like this.  Notice that there is an opening for elastic. 


Cut strips for your tiers.  You want them the same width as your skirt, plus a little extra for seam allowance.  The number of strips you have depends on how long you make them and how many tiers you want.  They should be long enough to overlap each other and go all the way up the skirt.  I wanted five tiers on my shirt, so I cut a total of 10 strips.

Here are four of them (laying on top of each other).


Okay, lets finish the bottom.  I love this method of finishing knit fabrics.  It's so easy, and looks pretty.  All you need to do is set your machine to a zig zag stitch.  I like to make the stitch length shorter than the default length for my machine. You can play around with length and width of the stitch on scrap fabric until you get what you want.  Zig zag right on the edge of your fabric, stretching your fabric as much as you can as you go. This will cause your fabric to curl a little, giving you a ruffle effect.


When you're done finishing the bottom, your skirt will look like this, with the exception of the elastic at the top, because you are smarter than me.


Sew two strips together on both sides like in the picture.  Again, only two sets are pictured, but I had a total of five sets.


Finish the bottoms the same way you did the bottom of your skirt.


Pin one of your tiers all the way around your skirt.  Sew it near the top edge.  There's no need to turn it under at the top, since knit fabric doesn't fray.  Keep going with all your tiers, making sure that the bottom ruffled edge covers the stitching of the tier below it.


If you want an unfinished look like I did with this skirt, you can do the top tier the same way.  If you want a more finished look, pin the top tier on upside down.  Stitch close to the raw edge.


When you fold the tier down, it will look nice and finished. Now you can insert the elastic and sew the opening to the casing shut.


This skirt pairs nicely with Ruffle Flower Leggings.



You can also throw in a flower clip to complete the outfit.


Linking up here.

18 comments:

Sherry said...

OMgoodness! What a great tutorial! I've been making lots of skirts lately and forgetting to post them! But I love this tutorial on my to do list right away!

Kerry said...

I love all the ruffle outfits you are doing. They are adorable.

Jana said...

So cute! I love your stuff!

Come enter for a chance to win a free pair of sandals!!

http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/sseko-giveaway.html

janimal said...

I like it! Very very cute. I think I will try this!

Allison said...

Beautiful--I will never be tired of little girls in ruffles. So sweet! http://vintagepollyanna.blogspot.com/

Melissa said...

Oh my word! I love the ruffles! Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All!

Karen G. said...

This is adorable and I cannot wait to try it! A couple of questions: is your basic skirt really double the circumference of your little girl's waist? It doesn't look that wide. Also, how tall is each tier?
Thank you--this is absolutely adorable!

Terra said...

Karen-I didn't use the tutorial, I just googled one for a basic skirt in case someone needed help making one. I just used a skirt she already had as a guide for the sizing.

Terra said...

And for the second part of your question, each tier on this skirt was about three inches tall. Since I overlapped them, there wasn't three inches between each tier if that makes sense.

Karen G. said...

Thank you for the replies Terra--they make sense! I have a skirt for me from Matilda Jane like this and didn't have the guts to try it for my daughter. I can't wait to get started now! Thank you again!

emily said...

soooo cute!! thank you for sharing your secrets! :)

Kimbo West @ a girl and a glue gun said...

thanks for the tut on how to make it curled....always wondered how to do that!

Practically Spent said...

What a darling, comfy looking skirt!

Alison said...

What a darling skirt!! I want one for me!! I am lovin' your blog!!

Jose said...

It's cute and I like her flower hair clip too.
--
Seattle Real Estate

Cathy said...

Thank you for this! I'm making the ruffled scarf and now I'm thinking I may make the skirt too! But, I do have one question... how did you start and end? My needle wants to push the fabric down in to where the bobbin is at the beginning corner... know what I mean? (I'm a novice, obviously hehe) Thanks!

Terra said...

I had that problem too. I figured out that if you start about an inch away from the corner and go down the whole thing and then come back and finish that inch the other way its easier. At the end you can just pull the fabric through before it gets pulled down into the bottom. Hope that helps! Let me know if you need clarification.

Terra

Glamour4You said...

LOVE THIS!!!! Just wondering if the ruffle edge technique works on cotton or non-stretch fabrics??