December 01, 2010

Nature's Christmas

I was in my backyard, and I noticed through that there was one tree that still had bright red leaves on it while all around, the other trees were bare.  I got closer and noticed that another tree was still green and thought, "Hey, Christmas colors!" I took a picture and this is what I got:


So then I thought it would make a nice (and let's not forget easy) Christmas decoration.  It was a little boring in the frame all by itself, so I made yarn balls to sit around it.


I used the general idea of this tutorial, only I used regular white glue, small 7-inch balloons, and crochet thread.  It was actually fun popping the balloons and listening to them shrivel up as they lost their air.


Here's a close up of some of the yarn balls:


I think the balls would also be cute hanging on a Christmas tree.  You could place them so that a light or two from a strand of lights on your tree is inside them.

If you would like, you can download the original photo.

Linking up here.

8 comments:

Kristol Faucheux said...

Beautiful picture, and I love the balls.

AllieMakes! said...

Gorgeous photo! I love catching fun things like this!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Moogie said...

I'm your newest happy follower.
http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

Red Couch Recipes said...

I made some like this for my daughter's B-Day party recently. I used them as table decorations. When the girls left, they took them home. Yours turned out great. Joni

shel said...

thank you for this inspiration for something else I was thinking of doing! :)

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Great picture and cute project!

Elizabeth said...

What an artists eye you have! So beautiful! Would love for you to link up to Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

I love these! I tried using the same tutorial and raffia and failed miserably. Your beautiful ones with crochet thread inspired me to try again. They're beautiful. I featured you today on my favorite things :)

Ads Inside Post