November 04, 2010

Scrap Quilt


My church women's group has been making lap quilts for a local assisted living center.  The quilts need to be small so that they don't get stuck in the wheels of a wheelchair, so I thought this was a good opportunity to try a pieced quilt for the first time.

I've seen scrap quilts before, but I didn't have a pattern.  All I did was cut 16-8 inch squares out of fabric pieces I already had, and then cut each of those squares into strips.  I mixed them up ( and had to trim them when I realized that once they were sewed into blocks, they would no longer be square). I sewed four rows of four squares each, alternating the direction of the strips,  then sewed each of the four rows together.




I did white strips around the outside, then layered it like a regular quilt. I just sewed a big square to quilt it.  Next time I might try something fancier. For the binding, I just sewed more scraps together into strips.  I don't think I did the binding correctly, but at least there are no raw edges.


Now that I've done one, I know what I can do differently next time to make it work better, but for a first try, I was happy with the results.

Linking up here.

11 comments:

Tricia said...

Great job. What a great project to use up scraps (and help those in need). You give me courage to just try one. I really don't think that there are right and wrong ways of doing things in sewing. I like the pieced binding.

Thanks for sharing.

Melissa said...

That turned out great! I would love to do something like this. Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All

Brandi said...

That is super fun! I like quilting too, but am kinda new to it! :)

tinahead81 said...

this is beautiful!! great job!

Wandering Minstrel said...

Ooooh, what pretty fabrics! I think your quilt turned out fabulously. :)

Jennifer said...

This is great! One of the prettiest scrap quilts I've seen...

Jennifer :)

Christie, Describe Happy said...

I really like the way this turned out! The scrappy binding.. takes the cake for me! I have a lot to learn as well, but isn't it a fun process to pick up along the way!! I'm finding you from Fabric Tuesday!

felicity said...

Great job on the quilt!

emedoodle said...

It looks great! :) there are some great binding tutorials out there - I like to use the one at "Crazy Mom Quilts" you can google it. :) Great work!

QuiltyGirl said...

I think it's fabulous! And your binding looks great. :)

Quiltstory said...

That turned out really cute Terra!!! Nice work!

Ads Inside Post