November 19, 2010

Ruffle Flower Leggings Tutorial

Due to a couple of requests, I have put together a tutorial for these leggings inspired by J Crew. This time I made them for Bella, so I used some pearls. (Keep in mind if you use pearls on your leggings that a lot of labels on beads now say not to use them under a certain age.)

Here is the end result.  In my opinion, totally worth the time they take to make.


First, buy or make a pair of leggings.  I made mine using the tutorial at Made, but I stopped before adding the ruching and buttons.


Next, cut out a bunch of circles to make your flowers.  I did two slightly different sizes and cut out twelve of each.  I used six big circles and six little circles per leg.


To make the flowers, thread a needle and tie a knot. Do a long gathering stitch about 2/3 of the way in on your circle, like this:


Pull up your gathering stitches, making sure the "bubble" of fabric you create goes down to the back side of your flower:


Here is a view of the back with the bubble sticking out:


Tie your thread ends in a knot like so:


Here's a view of the front:


Now just start hand sewing the flowers to the bottom of your leggings, mixing up the sizes as you go.  I sewed the pearls onto the flowers as I went.  I also made sure to catch parts of the petals as I sewed other flowers on top of them so that they would sit a little more flatly on the leg:


Last step: Dress your little princess in them and go have some princess-worthy fun!


Just a note: These are quite simple to do, but they do take a long time.  I recommend watching a cute movie while you sew on the flowers.  Sewing on the flowers can get a little tricky as you move higher up the leg and don't have as much room to work with.  Make sure that you don't sew all the way through to the back of the leg (like I did several times), because, as we all know, pants with their legs sewn shut are not user-friendly.

Linking up here.

27 comments:

theteo5 said...

Adorable! Love everything about them!

felicia said...

These are so cute! I'm gonna have to make some like this for my little girl. Found you over on Sumo's Sweet Stuff.

Jana said...

So cute! I might just have to make these for my niece!

CreativeMama said...

cute and innovate. will definitely revamp atleast one legging of my DD

blog n' tell said...

So Sweet for a little girl....love them!

Flannery Buchanan said...

those are super cute! my girls would loooove them.

flannery@ threesisterz.blogspot.com

Steph said...

This is so sweet! My girls would love this!

Quiltstory said...

Terra!! How fun!! I love your blog, so cute. And those leggings are to die for, I will be in real trouble if I ever have a girl!!! We're following now too :) (It's my sis and I that do our blogs).

PS Just curious, where did you realize it was me? Sew Dang Cute? I went there and didn't recognize it, didn't know if I'd been on there? ...just wondering :)

Sabr said...

These are so cute! What a darling idea!!

sabrinaalery.blogspot.com

Deanna Jane (cullenkidsmum) said...

So cute, thanks for the tutorial.

Tricia said...

Oh how I love these!

Allison said...

These are great--yet another fabulous ruffle project for me to drool over! Thanks for linking up to Tell Me Tuesday at Vintage Pollyanna! http://vintagepollyanna.blogspot.com/2010/11/antiques-roadshow-tell-me-tuesday-link.html

Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com said...

so cute! I have a pair that I bought and have been meaning to make ruffles on some other leggings :) I like this idea too though! if you have a chance come link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings! www.ladybug-blessings.com

Mandy said...

Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Craft Edition - I featured you today! - Mandy, www.craftedition.blogspot.com

Jennifer Juniper said...

So cute! Why oh why don't I have a girl?!?

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

Love these! My daughter would look so cute in them. I am featuring these at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featurecD" button.

Robin said...

I love this and I would really love it if you would link this upcycled craft to my linky party http://tinyurl.com/upcycled23.

Elizabeth said...

I chose your leggings as one of my faves from last weeks party and will be featuring them this Monday! Feel free to grab the "Featured" button from my sidebar! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Jacqueline said...

These are fantastic and would cost a fortune if you bought them at a children's boutique. Thanks for creating these adorable little girl's pants. Hopping over from last week's Girl Creative.

"My colors are Blush and Bashful" -Steel Magnolias said...

okay!!! love this to death! great idea!

Jen said...

So awesome! Think they would be totally cute on me! ;) I have been wanting to make leggings and this would be a great addition!

Sachiko said...

Oh my... I am in love with this legging! So pretty!

Suzie said...

I LOVE THESE!!

I'm posting them on my blog.

www.imlovinyourblog.blogspot.com

Let me know if you mind!

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

So very very cute!

berg4 said...

These are fabulous - thank you for sharing!

Becky said...

These HAVE to be the cutest leggings I have ever seen!

I featured them on my blog today of things I love.

You can check out the post here:
http://justbeckause.blogspot.com/2011/02/blog-head-monday.html

Have a great day!

<3 Becky
justbeckause.blogspot.com

Jose said...

Very cute, I think it is easy to make.
--
Seattle Real Estate