November 23, 2010

Just in time for...Thanksgiving?

UCreate has a Create With Me feature every month, and I decided to join in this month, hence the early completion of this skirt. This month, there were two tutorials: a drop-cloth tree skirt and scrappy stockings.  I was thinking about combining the two and doing a scrappy tree skirt, and when I saw this tree skirt at Anthropologie, I knew that's exactly what I was going to do.  The gathering and buttons on my skirt were inspired by Anthro's skirt.

There was no rhyme or reason to the pieces of the skirt.  I literally just started cutting and sewing.  Since it was pieced, I used two layers of fabric instead of one to cover all the seams.  The hardest part (emotionally anyway) was folding it and cutting it into a circle.  I had to cut off whole pieces.  Ahh!  Really, who likes to take a pair of scissors to a project (I mean one that you like)?


Here's a close-up of some of the buttons and gathering:


This was my first time joining in a Create with Me.  It was a lot of fun! I think I'll have to do it again.


Update: 

Now that we have our tree up, here's a picture of the tree skirt under the tree.  Miss Bella hung up the ornaments herself, and she doesn't quite get the idea of spacing yet.  I figure it adds character.

Linking here.

8 comments:

my name is carey! said...

Love the patterns and colors. With Joy, Carey

Stef said...

Your Tree Skirt is beautiful!!
Stef

CountryBelle said...

Very nice! I love the colors and fabrics.

Emily {WhipperBerry} said...

So pretty! Thanks for linking up!

emedoodle said...

Oh those gathers are amazing! Great job!

GreenGardenMom said...

Very nice.

Melissa said...

That is SO cute! Thanks for sharing over at Tuesday Tell All!!

Quiltstory said...

Really really cute Tera!! I love the gathers esepcially. Thanks for linking up :)

Ads Inside Post