October 12, 2010

Folded Fabric Flowers

My sister-in-law referred me to I Think Sew to look at patterns, and while I was looking around, I came across these flowers. There are also some similar ones here.  I wanted to figure out how to make flowers be that puffy, and after some fiddling around, I came up with my own way of doing it.  They are so versatile; I use them a lot.

Here is a red one used as a headband, and some smaller blue ones on shoes I made to match the dress. The idea for the diamond pintucks on the dress (and link to the how-to) is here at Homemade by Jill. The shoes I made by altering the pattern found here


And here is what the headband and shoes look like on a baby.  I made the headband using 1/8 inch elastic threat.  It works really well; a fourteen inch piece fits my brand-new baby, my toddler and even me!
 


They're also great to pin to a sweater or jacket.

See, just look how happy it makes her to wear it!

You can clip them to a piece of scrapbook paper and give them as a gift.


And make them in every color of fabric that you have!


The great thing about them is I use broadcloth to make them, and you can get that on sale for as little as $1.50/yard.  Since an eighth of a yard makes two or three flowers, that equals cute, cheap fun.  I was going to do a tutorial, but I got carried away making them and used up almost all my solid colored fabric.  Oops.  I'll do one soon.

UPDATE: The tutorial is available here.











2 comments:

amycornwell said...

Bummer! I really want to know how to make these. They're so cute. I'll stay tuned :)

Coley said...

Please do when soon!! :)

Ads Inside Post