September 30, 2010

"Where the Wild Things Are" Costume

Ever since I was little, I've loved the book Where the Wild Things Are. My husband and I watched the movie, and we kept waiting for it to get good. When it was over, we were so disappointed that we had completely wasted two whole hours of our lives. I try not to think about the movie when I read the book to my kids.

Anyway, because the book is so great, I decided to make my son Max's wolf suit for Halloween.

It's actually pretty simple to make. In the book, Max's wolf suit is one piece, but I decided to make it two pieces for ease of dressing. I just used a button up shirt pattern for the top (and added a hood instead of the collar) and a pajama pant pattern for the bottom.
I added triangles to the sleeve and leg openings for the claws. I also sewed a long tube of fake fur and pinned that to the costume with a large safety pin. The ears are just big triangles stuffed with scraps and hand sewn to the hood. I made the crown with some scraps I had on hand and elastic.

And there you have it. A very cute, simple costume to make for a boy. I love Halloween, because its a great time to sew something for my son.




4 comments:

AllieMakes! said...

How CUTE! Excellent job! He is SO adorable!
Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

Jami said...

This is adorable. Of course, the beautiful little model makes it even better! Happy Halloween!

Jaimee said...

Love it!! Good job : )

Brittany@Love Stitched said...

I love where the wild things are!! so cute!!

feel free to link it up to my HALLOWEEN COSTUME party going on now!!! there will be a prize for the top three costumes :)
http://lovestitched.blogspot.com/2010/11/costume-linky-contest.html

Ads Inside Post