September 21, 2010

Baby Boots Tutorial


Fall is coming, and with it cooler weather (yea!) Here are some boots to keep tiny feet warm.


They are perfect for sitting outside in the yard...Or kicking back in a basket on the deck (because we all do that so often)...
So do you want to make some yourself?
I've been thinking about making booties that are a little more modern for my baby, but I wasn't sure how I wanted to make them. Then one night when I was putting my toddler to bed, I had a great idea: use the footsie part of footsie pajamas as my pattern. Here's how to do it.


Cut the bottom off of a pair of footsie pajamas. I got mine for a quarter at a thrift store. For the leg part, there are two seams. Leave one of them uncut. You should get something like this:
Trace your pattern onto some paper, making sure to add extra room for seam allowances. The part that covers the leg (I'll refer to it as the upper) gets wider toward the top. When you make your pattern, draw a straight line from the narrow part of the leg up to how hight you'd like your boots to be. Then on either side, about an inch from the bottom, widen both sides, as shown below. This will be so you can attach velcro to keep them closed.
Before you cut out your fabric, make sure the flat part of the toe is the same length as the curved part of the upper. Notice the coloring on my pattern? My two year old thinks every piece of paper in the house is hers. Better than the walls I guess.
Also make sure the upper and the toe are the same length as the sole of the shoe.
Cut two each of your fabric and your lining, making sure that they are opposites, so you end up with a right and a left shoe. When you cut out the lining, make the upper part about 1 1/2 inches longer than the outside.
The next steps are shown with the lining, but you'll do them with both the lining and the outside of your shoe.

Pin the flat part of the toe to the curved part of the upper. Its easier if you stretch the curved part straight and then pin. Sew a seam.
With right sides together, sew the narrow part only of the upper together.
Sew the upper and toe to the sole, right sides together.
It will look like this when you're done.
Do the same thing for the other lining, and for both outsides. Turn the outsides of the shoes right side out and then put the lining into each shoe.
Pin the opening of the lining to the opening of the outside so that the raw edges are enclosed and sew shut.
Fold the lining over the raw edge of the outside of the shoe and fold down the lining so that it's raw edge is enclosed. Topstitch on the edge of the lining.
I don't have a picture of the next step, but just sew some velcro to the opening so that it will close. Ta da! You have some super cute (and practical!) baby booties.



Making

4 comments:

Tracy said...

OMG - I love those booties!!!! I only wish my daughter were younger so I could make her some! The pictures of her are awesome - you have very cute kiddos!

Tara said...

Very creative! I never thought about using pj foosies as pattern for booties. Thanks so much for your tute!

Tara said...

forgot to say that: your baby looks so cute. Want to give her some kisses on cheeks :)

Cheryl said...

This is such a great idea. So many cute possibilities too. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday:)

Ads Inside Post